Pages

Friday, November 27, 2015

Thanksgiving away from home

This year, I spent my first Thanksgiving alone. In fact, I realized it was a bit sad last night making a bowl of ramen for dinner (don't worry Ma, I put an egg and veggies in it for some nutrients)...

But just because I can't be with my family and childhood friends doesn't mean I don't have so many people and so many things to be thankful for.

I just want to say how thankful I am of everyone back home who has supported me in my decision to run around Australia for three years and continues to support me even though I'm terrible at keeping in regular contact. I am also so incredibly thankful to Pauleen and La Trobe University for the most wonderful 9 months so far of my PhD. It's been a good deal of hard work, but also so much fun and I've had so many opportunities for new experiences and personal growth. Last but not least, I am thankful for all the new relationships I've built this year. I really feel like I have a new family here in Australia - and it will definitely be rough when a bunch of them move away next year.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. And while it seems silly that people aren't more thankful on days other than Thanksgiving, I'm glad there's a day where I'm reminded of how very great I have it. This past year has been absolutely incredible here in Australia but I am definitely looking forward to escaping most of the Australian summer and hiding at home for 6 weeks over the holidays!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait for you to come home. Will make all your favorite food, teach you how to make them too.

Unknown said...

I miss your blog... and talking to you!

Let's get together, call me,
Jenna