Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

20 more mouths to feed

John had to go buy hay again today. Unfortunately, our last load of hay had quite a bit of moldy hay (about 2000 lbs of it!). Luckily, the deal with the hay farmer is that he will reimburse any moldy hay that we can't feed to the horses, but John has to drive the moldy hay back up to Colorado in order to do that. Today, John took that moldy hay and they dropped it off at the hay farmer's winter cow pastures, since cattle are safe eating moldy hay but moldy hay can kill horses or cause permanent neurological damage.

The new mares and foals are doing great. I love the babies -- they are so brave and are always the ones right up at the fence waiting for you to bring hay to them. I'm pretty sure there are 7 foals in total. One is Bamm-Bamm, who has been here for a week, and there are 6 others. Four of the babies have blazes; two girls and two boys. Then there is a liver colored baby, who Pat says will probably turn lighter as she gets older and be more of a buckskin color like her mom, and a super young (maybe 1 month old) sorrel colored baby.

The rest of the horses are either yearling fillies or older mares. There are so many of them that even after day 2 we still haven't quite named them all yet. The good news is that they're all eating from our hands already! The only mare who is having a bit of trouble is a liver colored mare who likes to show us her rear end...hopefully that goes away once she gets more comfortable :) nobody needs a mare who is always threatening to kick!

This batch of horses are Princess/Disney themed -- which actually gives us quite a bit of flexibility in names. I also took a couple pictures of them on day one. Didn't have my phone on me today, so I didn't get any more photos.

Chip is on the left and Dale is on the right. The liver mare is photobombing :)

In this group, the mare on the far left is Rapunzel since she has an incredibly long mane.
Dale and Chip are the foals in this picture, but none of the other horses are named quite yet.

In this photo the white (actually called Cremello) horse's name is of course Snow White. The buckskin mare on the far right is named Guinevere, after the queen of King Arthur. The third horse from the right is a yearling filly who we have named Jasmine (after Princess Jasmine from Aladdin). The two blazed kids you see here are the two girls, and the liver colored foal is right next to Queen Guinevere.
Didn't quite get photos of all the horses, but that will come soon!

On another note, I had a really good day with Ginger today. It was her last training day before she loads up and leaves tomorrow. I walked her out into a new area and even though she was scared, she tried really hard to be good. It was a little too much for her to go into the barn (since she had to go under the roof and that was scary), but she stayed with me when we walked up and down the road a little bit. She also got to experience being tied up a little bit -- and ate a bag of hay in the process :)

Going to miss my Gingie... Really hope she does well with her new owner. She has the potential to be a really great horse if they take the time to earn her trust. Fingers crossed that my baby has a good forever home!

2 comments:

Aud the Angel said...

I'm Pat's mom, and I love reading your blog. I don't check it often (even though I have it bookmarked), but when I do, I just keep reading until I reach the last one I had read previously. You're an excellent writer. Keep it up.

Lynna Feng said...

Thank you!!