Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Shocking!

The rest of the mares and foals will be arriving on Thursday - all TWENTY of them! Holy cow...not sure how that's going to go, but we'll see. We think they might be getting Disney Princess names. At least some of them... I don't think there are enough princesses for all the mares to be named after!

Luckily, two of our horses are leaving this Friday (8/30), Bambi and Ginger. Ginger won't be quite finished with her training yet, but her adopter is a knowledgeable horse person and it shouldn't be a problem for him to work with her. I'm going to miss my crazy girl and her excited nickering every time I walk by...

I haven't made it "blog official" yet, but my latest project horse is Simon, one of the yearling geldings. When we divvy'd up the horses, I chose Simon since he was one of the most outgoing and friendly guys. For anyone who knows me, choosing the easy one is definitely not my thing! But my goal is to get Simon completely trained and ready for adoption by the time I leave. I'm headed to St. Louis on September 13th, which leaves me two and a half weeks to get Simon through the program. Pat said it was an ambitious goal, but she thinks it can be done. And Simon is cruising along wonderfully. In just the last three days of training, he's finished Zone 1 (out of 4) and we start working with the rope loop to introduce haltering tomorrow. Exciting stuff! And he's only been here 5 days! So proud of my little prodigy... I'll have to get pictures of him tomorrow.

We also put up electric fencing today around the perimeter of the backyard so the donkeys can run around the yard and eat weeds without us worrying about them going under the fence and disappearing forever. We had plastics clips and put up all the fencing, but we don't have the power source yet. The fencing looks pretty though -- a clean white strip (for now!) all along the edge. The electric fencing isn't just for the donkeys either...a while back Lefty discovered that he could push the wiring up and sneak under the fence to go graze on the hill -- and then he took Sugarfoot, Blitzen, and Roany along with him. They didn't get yard privileges for a while after that incident... Once we have the electric fence working though, hopefully we won't have that problem anymore!

No comments: